This Mexican Street Corn Salad is a crowd-pleaser for any summer barbecue. It lasts in the fridge for a few days, so make extra on the weekend for easy weekday lunches. Can’t find cotija cheese in your local grocery store? Substitute feta or parmesan.
Thanks to our food contributor Kathleen Ashmore for sharing on of her favorite salads—follow her on Instagram or go to her website for other healthy, satisfying salads (aka “Hungry Lady Salads”) and more delicious recipes
Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites)
6 ears corn, husks and silks removed
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Cotija cheese, finely crumbled
1/2 cup finely sliced scallions, green parts only 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 to 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced on a Microplane grater (about 1 to 2 teaspoons) 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
Juice and zest from 1 lime
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
- Grill corn, turning occasionally, until charred in most spots, 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and let sit until cool enough to handle. Slice and remove kernels (you should have about 6 cups).
- Whisk mayonnaise, garlic, salt, chili powder, zest and juice of lime, and cheese in a large bowl to combine.
- Add corn kernels and toss to coat.
- Top with cilantro and scallions and serve.