The Tillman family is a local Libertyville family making a huge impact in Chicagoland with their foundation, The Cornerstone Foundation. The mission of the Charles Tillman Cornerstone Foundation is to provide opportunities and resources to children and their families who are in need. Since 2005, Tillman’s foundation has helped thousands of families affected by childhood illness. The physical, emotional, and social effects that these children and their families experience are excruciating. Countless hours spent in doctors’ offices and hospital rooms; a long journey on a rollercoaster of hope, fear, and frustration; the need for help with meals, housework, and childcare; the financial burden of hospital bills and loss of income while caring for a sick child—they all take a toll.
We hope this video by Jerry Stackhouse, Charles Tillman and The Players Tribune moves you and helps you see what wonderful people the Tillman’s are and the positive impact they have in our community.
In 2008, Charles and his wife, Jackie, experienced this firsthand when their six-month-old baby needed a heart transplant. Their journey is the reason their programs make such a huge positive impact—the Tillmans truly understand the needs of families living in the hospital because they’ve been there. The foundation’s four main programs are: Charles’ Locker, Holiday Celebration, TendHER Heart Luncheon, and the Tiana Fund.
- Charles’ Locker enriches the lives of hospitalized children and their families by providing access to portable DVD players, iPads, and Play Station video games to pass the time.
- During the Holiday Celebration, Charles and Jackie spread holiday cheer to Chicago-area hospitals as they pass out gifts, visit and play games with families.
- Each spring, the TendHER Heart Luncheon serves spring as a way to honor mothers of critically and chronically ill children.
- The Tiana Fund program offers assistance to economically at-risk persons that strengthens their ability to care for themselves, improve their quality of life, and contribute to their community.
- The 4th Annual Charles Tillman Cornerstone Sports & Sparkle Gala will be held on November 12th at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. Where fundraising and tailgating meet!! The night will be full of fun iconic Chicago sporting themes and games, silent and live auctions along with commentary from the hysterical Charles “Peanut” Tillman. We are grateful it is sold out! We are seeking donations of silent auction items. Learn more below.
Many foundations were impacted by the pandemic having to forego their in-person galas last year that help them fundraise. The Cornerstone Foundation is so grateful their Sports and Sparkle Gala will be back next month and is sold out! They would love your help donating items for the silent auction at the Gala at Hyatt Regency Chicago in November!
We will have live and silent auctions to help raise crucial funds to assist in keeping families out of homelessness and hopelessness due to medical bills. Please consider donating an item to help raise funds, our most popular items include sporting tickets, vacations, airline miles, vacation stays, hotel giveaways, dinning vouchers, gift certificates and electronics.
Contact [email protected] if you’d like to help Chicagoland children and families by donating a silent auction item by November 6th.