The Hawthorn Mall virtual “Earth Day at Home” event, taking place April 22nd through April 29th, invites local families to “celebrate today for a better tomorrow.” Kicking off the event by encouraging the donation of gently used clothing and other textiles, families can participate in a collection of creative ideas curated by Hawthorn Mall to help them show their support for the environment while continuing to practice social distancing by taking part in these activities from home.
All event information is on Hawthorn Mall’s Facebook page.
- Spring Cleaning Donation: Spring has sprung! Clean out your closets and recycle your old textiles and gently used clothing items by donating them to a local recycling center. For the location of SWALCO, a nearby recycling center, and for information about when they will be accepting donations again, visit: https://bit.ly/2VuBTw2.
- DIY Bird Feeder: Build your own unique bird feeder using materials you already have at home. Then, hang your bird feeder outside, take a picture, and post it on our Facebook page to show off your masterpiece! For some creative ideas, visit:https://bit.ly/2JQLSGH.
- Cooking Scrappy: Eating at home more often means a few extra kitchen scraps in the fridge. Need a feel-good recipe that helps you waste less while making a tasty treat in the process? Get inspired here https://bit.ly/2wnCo2v, then share your own favorite scrappy recipe in the discussion on our Facebook page.
- Make Your Own Compost: Did you know that non-composted waste can be dangerous for the environment? Combat waste by creating your own family compost bin. Need instructions? Visit: https://bit.ly/2UV2p2D.Love Earth Day and Want to Do More?
- Turn an old t-shirt into a reusable bag: https://bit.ly/2VhLdTU.
- Walk your worries away by picking up trash.
- Create an eggshell herb garden: https://bit.ly/3c6HwHH.
- Go on a “Beauty-in-Nature” scavenger hunt: https://www.facebook.com/shophawthornmall/events/.
- Download, complete and hang this fun coloring sheet in your window to share with your neighbors: https://www.facebook.com/shophawthornmall/events/.
- Turn your broken crayons into Earth-friendly shapes: https://bit.ly/2JR2xdi.
- Chalk your walk by writing words of encouragement on your driveway or sidewalk, then share your creations in the discussion on our Facebook page.
SEE What We’re Doing!
Because sustainability and environmentally friendly practices have long been a key tenet for Hawthorn Mall, Earth Day takes on a special significance. We’re committed to doing our part to preserve the environment as well. To learn more about the ways we’re supporting Sustainability, Efficiency and the Environment (SEE), visit our SEE Centennial page here: https://www.shophawthornmall.com/sustainability/.